Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updater Application?

2 posters

Go down

Updater Application? Empty Updater Application?

Post by Baaleos Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Guys,

One of the things I really loved about CEP2.3 was the updater application, that made it easy to incrementally update your hak's without requiring a re-download of a GB of files.

From what I can remember of the story (I might be incorrect, so please correct me if I am wrong)

The person who made that application, left the team, and it was no longer sustainable, because no one knew how to support it?

I'd like to offer my services to develop a C# App that does the same.

Sources will be fully disclosed - but I would only wana do the work, if someone on the CEP Team tells me that they would actually make use of it.

eg- It scan's local hak's, compares the hak contents against a file list: Files that differ get added to a download list, and then downloaded, and added to the hak, files that are not different, remain intact.

CEP Team would need to just keep the filelist up to date etc.

Im not promissing to have it done in a week, or even a month - It would get done when it gets done, but its been something I have always wanted to release to the community. (Similar to the Update Application I use in my PW Server)

Baaleos

Back to top Go down

Updater Application? Empty Re: Updater Application?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Why not use rsync if they want to go that route? Works great for Project Q. The only issue we have is that our host periodically changes the ip address and neglects to tell us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malishara Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Ultimately, any application would need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered:

1) Easily configured.
2) It needs to be able to have the repository address changed easily.
3) It needs to minimize data transfer.

And, most importantly (though often overlooked):

4) It needs to be simple to use for the end user.

The last updater we used was a simple command line utility that ran with no parameters, but there was a good deal of confusion about it still. If we are to consider using one again, it needs to be as easy to use as possible.
Malishara
Malishara
Content Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum