Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cep2_custom.hak

3 posters

Go down

cep2_custom.hak Empty cep2_custom.hak

Post by kalbaern Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 am

When this hak was originally added, it was promised that it would never be overwitten by a CEP Update. So long as the CEP Updater was in use, this remained true. However, anyone updating from CEP 2.3 to 2.4 needs to beware that it exists there as well (which it should not) and not to overwrite any older versions they might have customised.

Will the CEP Team now please either fix the current 2.4 download or update the download notes to warn folk of the possibility of breaking a module if the custom hak is allowed to overwrite. It was only on a whim that I myself hand updated each CEP Hak when going from 2.3 to 2.4 in my module the other day. Had I just mass imported and allowed all to overwrite, I'd have lost close to a 100 hours of tweaks and changes that I'd used the custom hak for.

My own suggestion is that the current CEP 2.4a download be adjusted to not include this hak and that a separate download of the custom hak with an explanation of how/why/when it is used be added with it. Currently, CEP 2.4 is an accident waiting to happen otherwise.

kalbaern

Back to top Go down

cep2_custom.hak Empty Re: cep2_custom.hak

Post by Tyndrel Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 am

Oh "bleep"!

Crying or Very sad
Tyndrel
Tyndrel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:09 am

I added a note to the installation instructions page hosted at neverwinternights.info about making a backup copy (or not overwriting) that file if a builder has made any changes to it from a previous installation.

Now, on to my personal opinion:

If the cep2_custom.hak didn't exist in the CEP 2.4 installation, new
players and anyone else that didn't already have version 2.3 wouldn't
have that file for playing.

I personally wouldn't want that file removed from the 2.4 download simply because that would be one more separate download that players would have to make to be sure they got so they could play all of the various CEP modules/PWs. I always aim for simplicity for getting players started (yes, this is coming from a guy who's PW uses 11 custom haks on top of CEP...but they all come in one big download + one updates download).

For players, it's just an empty hak that is needed to play in many modules. It's much simpler to just include it in the single download. And there are a lot more players than builders.

As a PW builder, I know there are many, many, many accidents waiting to happen if I make a mistake, so I make sure to keep backups of any hak (or other file) I may be updating. Just standard practice for me since I deal with thousands of custom files (from simple 2das to in-game models to blueprint files) and don't want to destroy countless hours of work by misclicking something (which I've done several times, but was saved by file backups).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Custom Content Wyrm: CEP 2.60+

http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyndrel Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 am

All good common sense stuff, I back up my project's mod file religiously, I didn't back up the custom hak file for some reason (incompetence) grumble grumble.

Perhaps the custom file could come in the main download but inside a folder? Just a suggestion, this is down to me not thinking. affraid
Tyndrel
Tyndrel

Back to top Go down

Post by kalbaern Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 am

Tyndrel wrote:All good common sense stuff, I back up my project's mod file religiously, I didn't back up the custom hak file for some reason (incompetence) grumble grumble.

Perhaps the custom file could come in the main download but inside a folder? Just a suggestion, this is down to me not thinking. affraid

Was dumb luck that I caught this myself. After posting, two other PW Builders have corresponded and admitted it made for some extra work for them too though in the past year.

Personally, warnings or not, I think most of us would be prone to "miss" this. Especially those of us that have been using CEP for many. many years now. Most of us would just "add" the update just like all the other past versions, at least since 2.0.

On top of that, I'm personally the type that expects folk to keep their word. Mistakes are acceptable. Passing blame or ignoring them however is not. So warning or not, the custom hak really needs a separate download. Why? Because "we", the "NWN Community" where promised when it was first added that it would never be overwritten by future updates. So my request has been simple. Lets keep that promise, fix the issue, then move on.

kalbaern

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum