CEP Licensing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CEP Licensing?

Post by atiaxi on Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello,

I've looked through the FAQs and downloads and haven't been able to find an answer to the question: What are the licensing terms (if any) of the CEP? Could I re-distribute it alongside any modules I were to make, for example? To go a little further, could I take a subset of it and include it in my game, and distribute only that part?

Thanks,

atiaxi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEP Licensing?

Post by kalbaern on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:26 pm

I can't think of any reason you'd need just a subset of the CEP. Perchance if you use a few things, but merged them with some other haks perhaps. Even then, you can likely just use the CEP haks you want and make a custom hak of your own to merge whatever else you need.

kalbaern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheExcimer-500 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:34 pm

No. Sorry. The CEP Team holds copyrights on certain content (including myself) within the CEP to be used only in CEP haks. In addition, several contributors specified that their content was to be included only within the CEP.

You may of course, seek out the individual authors and request their permissions to include their content in your own haks for your module(s).

As Kalbaern mentioned the power of the CEP is that it is a universal set of haks used by many NWN gamers, so why would you only want a part redistributed? It'd mean extra hard drive space for duplicate material.

TheExcimer-500
CEP Team Member
CEP Team Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GM_ODA on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm

According to the TOS at http://nwvault.ign.com/

4. Rights You Grant to IGN.

A. User Content. By submitting any User Content through or to the Services, including on any User Tools or User Pages, but excluding any User Content you submit on IGN Blogs, you hereby irrevocably grant to IGN, its affiliates and distributors, a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable license, to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, create derivative works from, transfer, transmit and distribute on the Services, in connection with promotion or elsewhere, such User Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate the User Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed. Notwithstanding the foregoing, when you submit a game FAQ, text guide, walkthrough or image, IGN may modify the format and display of such User Content, but not the content. IGN will take reasonable precautions to help you to keep your email and voicemail messages private. The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such User Content, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction. With respect to User Content you Post for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of IGN Blogs, you grant IGN the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such User Content on the Services or on any media. You agree that the foregoing grant of rights by you to IGN and its affiliates is provided without any the entitlement of payment of fees or consideration.

Based on the above, and the fact that CEP is and has been distributed in the noted channel, there are no rights denied to anyone who downloads the content.

Anyone with legal credentials care to weigh in? I think it is pretty clear that the community has been granted rights to use/re-use ad infinitum.

Be well. Game on!
GM_ODA

GM_ODA

View user profile http://playnwn.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Malishara on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 pm

you hereby irrevocably grant to IGN, its affiliates and distributors

Those rights, are, according to the the TOS, granted to IGN, its affiliates and distributors, not the end user.
Malishara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GM_ODA on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Malishara wrote:

you hereby irrevocably grant to IGN, its affiliates and distributors

Those rights, are, according to the the TOS, granted to IGN, its affiliates and distributors, not the end user.

Read a little further into the document, under "3. General Rules" you will find.

D. Permitted Use of Content. The content included in the Services, including all Web site design, text, graphics, photos, audio, video, the selection and arrangement thereof, and all software that are part of the Services (collectively, the "Content") is owned or licensed by IGN and/or its licensors. All Content is made available to you for your personal, non-commercial use and may be stored on a computer only for such use. The Content is protected by copyright, trademark, service mark, patent and other proprietary rights and laws. Publication, sale, redistribution in any form or medium, as well as modification or use of the Content, except as expressly permitted, is prohibited without the prior written permission of IGN.

The latter would protect the aggregate data that is, with the dressing, the NWvault we know and love. In that IGN made this content available to download, they express (above) you may use any of it for personal, non-commercial purposes. THAT is the only permission one needs, since the 'creators' of the content gave license to IGN (my prior posts' citation).

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA

GM_ODA

Back to top Go down

Post by Malishara on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Publication, sale, redistribution in any form or medium, as well as modification or use of the Content, except as expressly permitted, is prohibited without the prior written permission of IGN.
Malishara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GM_ODA on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:21 pm

expressed includes "Content is made available to you for your personal, non-commercial use" and if anyone's permission would be needed for re-distribution it would be IGN's not the CEP group nor the authors, who gave the rights to IGN. I'm certain IGN would balk at a violation of the expressed terms such as commercial use, but they flat out allow personal, non-commercial use.

Be well. Game on!
GM_ODA

GM_ODA

Back to top Go down

Post by Malishara on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Personal means for ones own personal use, on ones own computer. Redistributed is expressly prohibited, and that is what the original poster was inquiring about, was it not?
Malishara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum